The year was 1847, pre-separation “Queensland” and exploration throughout the South Pacific was forged in exciting directions.
For 26-year-old Rev William Moore and his wife of five years Mary Ann, their dream was to head for Fiji, instead they were told to board a steamer to “Limestone”.
Once there Rev Moore was told to investigate the religious situation in the Moreton Bay District.
Not just happy to investigate it, though, he laid the foundations of Methodism in Ipswich on the original site granted by the Colony of NSW, on the corner of Ellenborough and Limestone Streets in the heart of Ipswich.
With the first service of worship held on January 28, 1848, Rev Moore left a dynamic footprint of meeting spiritual and community needs that spanned successive generations.
The wooden chapel was replaced by a brick building in 1859, enlarged on all sides to the present-day structure.
Other buildings have developed this original site of continuous worship and service to the community for 175 years.
People of mission and service continued Moore’s story through Lifeline, BlueCare and Light Industries, building a community spirit helping to foster and sustain the identity of modern Ipswich.
Today, Ipswich Uniting Church continues the pioneer foresight, as it offers worship and a range of activities sharing the love and good news of Jesus with children, youth and adults from locations in Brassall, Booval and North Booval, as well as the Ellenborough St location.
To mark 175 years of dedicated community work a celebration service will be held at 2pm, Sunday, July 16 in the church.
An historical display has been organised for the celebration acknowledging the legacy of mission for and with the people of Ipswich.
Everyone is invited to attend and join in the special celebration.